Friday, December 30, 2016

Franchise Review- Star Trek 1979-1991

   I. Let me start by saying that I am NOT a Trekkie, so I'm approaching these films from the position of neutral observer. Objectivity becomes difficult when you've been knee-deep in mythology for decades. That makes me uniquely qualified to judge the quality of the "Trek" movies without the emotional attachments that the hardcore fan-base brings.










"Star Trek: The Motion Picture"(1979)
Contrary to popular opinion, I've determined that the original "Trek" movie is among the best ones for one very simple reason- IT ACTUALLY FEELS LIKE A MOVIE. Let's face it, "Trek" can get pretty stagy and claustrophobic.




"Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"(1982)
I can't imagine a 2010s teenager taking Ricardo Mantalban and his man-boobs seriously. This is where being a Trekkie becomes a detriment.






"Star Trek III: The Search for Spock"(1984)
Christopher Lloyd's Klingon boss is among the saga's better villains




"Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home"(1986)




"Oh, shit. It's the Bat signal".

"Star Trek V: The Final Frontier"(1989)



"Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country"(1991)























No comments:

Post a Comment